Here is an opportunity to be part of a dynamic team aiming to sustain, develop and grow the community touched by the witness and ministry of the people of Glasgow and the ministry of Glasgow Cathedral.
Responsible to: The Parish Minister of Glasgow Cathedral.
Hours of work: 17½ hours per week
Main Purpose of post: to facilitate and develop strategic plan for Glasgow Cathedral
- Support and facilitate the creation of a new strategic plan for the Cathedral.
- Recruit, support and manage team to deliver and execute above strategic plan.
- Make contact with and develop partnerships with churches, projects and individuals to further the Cathedral’s vision.
- Develop community focus of the Cathedral.
- Identify, establish and create relationships which will enhance the vision and the work of the Cathedral, both locally and further afield, including internationally.
- Take an involvement in the life and structures of the Cathedral.
- Assist with funding applications and other fundraising activities as required.
- Represent the Cathedral in the community, city wide, nationally and internationally; including conferences, meetings and giving presentations about the work.
- Reflect on and develop own practice in consultation with Minister of the Cathedral.
Skills, abilities and knowledge
- Demonstrable leadership skills including developing and inspiring individuals to reach their potential
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, verbal and written
- Experience of working with and motivating staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work sensitively with a wide variety of people in different settings.
- Experience of setting up and developing programmes and activities.
- Ability to implement policies and procedures in accordance with relevant current legislation.
- Ability to plan effectively, implement plans, and to prioritise work and workload.
- Broad-based Christian faith and an ecumenical and open approach to working alongside people in church and community settings
- Administrative skills in planning and organising activities
- Experience of monitoring, record keeping and report writing
- Committed Christian with a live Church connection which is a Genuine Occupational Requirement in terms of the Equality Act 2010
- Positive and enthusiastic outlook, with ability to motivate others.
- An understanding of the issues relevant to community development and ability to relate to people
- Ability to communicate effectively with others using highly developed interpersonal skills
- Openness to and able to evidence different ways of working and trying new initiatives
- Ability to work unsupervised with readiness to use own initiative
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and contribute to effective team working
Qualifications and Training
- On-going commitment to continuing professional development including willingness to work towards qualifications and accredited training
- Experience in church initiatives and development.
- Experience of community development
Terms and Conditions: Strategic Development Officer
- Salary is based on the current MDS Team Leader salary scale of £31,821 – £34,662. This is the full-time salary scale and actual salary will be pro rata to 0.5 FTE.
- Cost of living increase will be applied each year (determined in November and effective from January).
- Pension will be offered at 6% of salary.
- Normal hours of work will be 17.5 hours per week (0.5 FTE). The nature of the role will require a degree of flexibility. Hours of work are flexible to suit the needs of the Cathedral. Some unsocial hours may be required e.g. for evening groups and weekend events. A system of TOIL will operate for work beyond contracted hours.
- The post is home based.
- Responsible to: Minister of the Cathedral.
- 25 days annual holiday (pro rata) may be taken during each full holiday year which runs from 1 January to 31 December. Entitlement is based on full weeks worked.
- In addition, 9 days statutory holidays (pro rata) are provided.
- Travel expenses by public transport or by use of own car at rates as agreed by Cathedral (and reviewed annually) will be paid by the Cathedral.
Expressions of interest and for an application form please contact the Cathedral Administrator using the standard contact form here. (Please select “To contact the Cathedral Administrator” from the “Reason for contacting us” dropdown menu.) It would be useful if you could include a telephone number in your message.